Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Pulpit

The Pulpit

 

At the northeast end of the nave is the Pulpit, erected along with the High Altar reredos when the church was rebuilt. It dates from 1847 and took the place of an 18th century three-decker pulpit which stood against the fourth pillar of the nave from the west, near the centre of the church, where it had been moved from further east in the 17th century.

The present pulpit designed by

E G Paley was carved in Caen stone by John Thomas.

In 1888 it was decorated by Kempe.

 

 

 

In 1957 it was completely

re-decorated in rich greens and reds and grey and gold, each panel containing a different abbreviation or monogram of Our Lordís name.

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

Another interesting feature of the Pulpit is the Angel sliding down the banister while reading