Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Mayor's Gallery

In its present form the gallery dates from the rebuilding of 1845. Of special note are the three chairs, originally intended for the use of the Mayor, the ex-Mayor and the senior Alderman, decorated with the Royal Arms and with the Arms of the Borough of Wigan and the Diocese of Chester, the carving of which was carried out by Mr Rattee of Cambridge. This is where the Corporation sits when the Mayor pays a state visit to church.. From time immemorial it has been the custom for the Mayor and Corporation to sit together on such occasions

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

On the front of the gallery are three of these brass fitting , they are used to hold the sword of state and the two ceremonial maces because Wigan has been granted the very rare honour of two Royal Charters.