Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Bluecoat School

The Bluecoat School stands at the foot of Wigan Parish Church. It was the first church school in Wigan built in 1773.

It has had a chequered history, being a Police Garage during the war also a home for Social Services furniture. It was given back to church in the early 80's and is used for coffee and meetings after services.

The building has recently been renovated with the roof, flashings, decoration, and new tables and chairs. A bequest was given so that we were able to have made a beautiful set of new doors in memory of Margaret and Barry Bowker. These doors along with a stained glass window given to us when the chapel of Wigan Infirmary was reorganized were dedicated by the Bishop of Warrington at Evensong in 2006

 

 

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

Inside the building is probably the oldest part of Wigan, a Tudor house frame, found when buildings were demolished at the bottom of Standishgate.

The borough didn't want it so the then Rector Canon Forrest a founder member of the Civic Trust had it placed in the school