Of special interest here are the window in the west wall which, though much restored, dates from the 13th century, and part of a pagan Roman Altar which is built into the spay of the east side of the modern window in the north wall. It was found in 1604, buried beneath the High Altar

Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Tower

The Tower

Is by far and away the most ancient part of the church. From what remains of its architectural features, and they have been much obliterated during the centuries, the lower portion appears to date from the 13th century or even earlier. It was altered and redesigned in the perpendicular style about the middle of the 15th century. The angle buttresses were added then, the well-designed belfry stage. It was raised to its present height of about 100 feet in the 19th century, when the clock chamber and final pinnacles were added.

 

In the belfry of the Tower is a peal of ten bells, and a small bell known as the Priest's Bell.

 

Inside, the ground floor of the Tower has had a chequered history. In 1622, Bishop Bridgman declared it to be'a dark hole of no use, a most filthy stinking dungeon' and had it flagged. After 1850 the space was filled with pews for the Sunday School until 1867 when these were cleared out and the organ erected here for a few years. Later it was used as a choir vestry until 1954 and now it is again an open space for meetings.

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

Roman Altar

The Clock

The Tower Stairwell