The elaborately decorated tester or boldakino

The Chapel before 1955

Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: Home | About Us | Current News | Parish Directory | Services | History & Restoration | Photo Tour | Plan of the Church| Events in Pictures | Organisations | The Choir | The Mothers' Union | Bible Story Time| Scout Group | Bell Ringing | Fundraising | Flower Arranging | Stained Glass | Needlework | Related Links
Text Box: The Walmesley Chapel

The Walmesley Chapel

Text Box: The Walmesley Chapel also known as the Gerard Chapel is one of the oldest parts of the Church as it was not rebuilt in 1845. 
Whether anything remains of the original building is not clear, though the pillar and arches which divide it from the body of the church may possibly be late medieval.In the centre of the chapel is a stone slab, which covers the entrance to the family vault.
It had the unusual position of being a Roman Catholic chapel in an English Parish Church. The Walmesleys relinquished their rights to the Chapel and handed it over to the Church in 1955. It was completely restored under the direction of JBS Comper. An Altar, under an elaborately decorated tester was set up and furnished, and an aumbrey, with a lamp of antique Italian silver, was built in the north wall. Also in the north window are medieval fragments of glass found in the restoration of 1845. the fragments date from the 14th and early 15th centuries and are of considerable interest because they are the only known fragments made by a medieval local school of glass painters in Lancashire. 
The chapel is now used regularly for the celebration of Holy Communion., and the Blessed Sacrament is reserved for the Communion of the sick.

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH