Mabs Cross can still be seen, in front of Mabs Cross Junior school, at the top of the hill where Standishgate joins Wigan Lane

How the effigies were originally displayed

Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Crawford Chapel

The Crawford Chapel

This chapel, also known as the Lady Chapel, stands on the south side of the Chancel. In the Middle Ages it was the common practice for rich people to found chantries in parish churches where they were buried and where they were remembered after death.

This one was founded in 1338 by Lady Mabel Bradshaigh of Haigh Hall, the heroine of the famous Wigan Mabs Cross Legend. She can be seen with her husband to the left of the altar.

 

The Story of Lady Mabel

Sir William Bradshaigh was absent for ten years fighting the Crusades. His wife, Lady Mabel presuming him dead, married a Welsh Knight.

Sir William returned and, in disguise, mingled with the poor of Haigh where he was seen by his wife who wept at his resemblance to her former husband. At this Sir William went and made himself known to his tenants. The Welsh Knight fled. Lady Mabel was told by her confessor to do penance by walking once a week, barefoot, from Haigh to a cross near Wigan. Sir William was outlawed for a year and a day, but he and Lady Mabel lived happily together afterwards.

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

There is a fine east window designed by Lady Jane Evelyn Lindsay

On either side of the Altar are two marble monuments beautifully executed by the Florentine artists Felicie and Hyppolyte de Fauveau. She was a renowned 19th century Romantic sculptress, with a liking for decoration and symbolic detail