Home

About Us

Current News

Parish Directory

Services

History & Restoration

Photo Tour

Concerts and Events

Events in Pictures

Organisations

The Choir

The Mothers' Union

Bible Story Time

The Scout Group

Bell Ringing

Fundraising

Flower Arranging

Stained Glass

Needlework

Related Links

Text Box: The Font

At the west end of the South Aisle, stands the Font

 

Originally it stood mid-way between the two western-most pillars of the Nave'on three great stayres' or steps, but unfortunately it was moved by Bishop Bridgeman in 1620' to a pillar on the south side of the middle aisle, near the west end of the church'.

The font so removed was probably the octagonal 14th or 15th century one the bowl of which, restored to the church after serving for many years as a rain butt in the Hall garden, it still remains near the present font.

 

 

The present font was made in 1912 by John Phillips, one of the sculptors employed on Liverpool Cathedral. Around the bowl are carved details of the instruments of the passion, including the whip, the crown of thorns and the nails, the cross and the ladder, and the hammers, pincers and dice. It is covered by a large ornately carved oak cover.

Text Box: < Previous
Text Box: Next >

WIGAN PARISH CHURCH

Figures around the base of the Font